Popular Posts

Saturday 25 July 2015

The Search For the Perfect Bike..........or is there one?

The perfect bike..........does one even exist? Is it a myth, or am I just the kind of guy that gets bored and can't live with just one. My Vstrom is close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The thing is great on the highway, good around town, reasonably good on a gravel road, but  its big and heavy.

I mean for a long distance trip it is damn near perfect, but really I take maybe one of those a year, and I'm sure there is something out there that can be comfortable for those multi day trips, lighter and doesn't cost a small fortune.

I am also a lover of the retro style, things that are new, but look old. The Triumph Classics, Urals, etc.


Maybe not new, but it is a classic



Sidecars.........never ridden with one, but I am absolutely in love with them. I just think they are so cool. You can load them up with a pile of stuff, ride them just about anywhere, and take my dogs with me. Downside........they drive weird, and Urals are not highway machines. Neither is CRF250L for that fact, and do I really need to ride on the highways? They are boring after all and the best scenery is on the backroads.

I'd love a CRF250L, but I think I'd grow old of it fairly quickly as my do it all one bike. I do like to use my bike for running errands and you can't fit much on a CRF. Plus it is still a 250, and lacking in the power department. It would be a hoot off road but.....not so much fun on the road.

Triumph Scrambler........never ridden one either, good reviews, low seat height, classic styling, good motor, able to ride off road, lightly and it's sidecar able. (not sure that's a word, but let's run with it). $11000 price tag.

Do I really need a new bike? No. Do I want a new bike? Yes. As much as I love love the ol' Strom it just missing something, and it's just too big and heavy for the majority of the riding I'm doing.

Ah yes the riding. As much as I like the idea of riding off road, and exploring gravel roads, I never do. The last time I was on a dirt road was at the Fundy Adventure Rally last year, and I most likely won't be on one again until this years rally. So do I really need a dirt road worthy bike?

Displacement size? Well, I kind of got caught up in the less is more thing when Ed and Rach were here and visions of touring around on a CT110. But let's be serious, I'm not in my twenties anymore, and don't have all the time in the world to be riding around maxed out at 70kph. I'd love to do it, but it's not gonna happen.



Therefore I cannot see myself living solely with a small displacement bike. I do like the power, and I do like a good sporty nature of a bike. 

So what makes good power, handles great, is relatively comfortable and has character? 

Benvenuto in Italia








No comments:

Post a Comment